Sunday, October 4, 2009

#Vegan ABC's: Carrots help you see in the dark!


Everyone knows that eating carrots improves your vision, and can even help you see better in the dark! But did you know carrots also help protect against cancer, cardiovascular and heart disease? Carrots are rich in fiber and contain loads of beta-carotene and something called "falcarinol".
  • Fiber: A 3.5oz serving of carrots contains 3 grams of fiber, or about 10% of the adult RDI (Recommended Daily Intake). According to a study found in the American Journal of Epidemiology a diet rich in fiber from fresh fruits and vegetables and low in fat prevents the return of polyps.

  • Beta-carotene: Our bodies use beta-carotene to create vitamin A, a powerful antioxidant that is essential to good vision. Beta-carotene & vitamin A also help the body fight cancer, and the internal inflammation believed to lead to cardiovascular disease. Vitamin A is also important for the health of your skin and immune system.

  • Falcarinol: A Danish study found that cancer cells grow more slowly when exposed to falcarinol. Another study of 24 rats with precancerous colorectal cancers found the rats that were given falcarinol were about 33% less likely to develop full-scale cancer.
Carrots are high in sugar, so don't over do it, but make sure you get at least one serving daily. Your eyes - and colon and skin and heart - will thank you for years to come!

2 comments:

  1. I was forced to drink carrot juice when I was a kid.

    I'm so happy my mom did, because I'm now in my 30s with perfect eyesight even though I've spend about 15 years of my life in front of the computer!)

    ---
    Michael Aulia
    http://www.michaelaulia.com/blogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb blog post, I have book marked this internet site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future!

    ReplyDelete

The Health Freak Tweets...